Irritated of the long time taken by computer to shutdown after pressing the shutdown button? Here’s how to decrease shutdown time of your computer.
You might be having a computer with very high specifications, but sometimes it becomes really annoying if your computer takes a lot of time to shutdown. Shutdown, Restart and Log Off are some of the basic processes of a computer and sometimes you cannot do much about these processes by installing some program or application. In that situation , a question comes in mind, is there not any way using which you can decrease shutdown time of your computer?
Well, as I said above, there is not any program developed yet which can decrease shutdown time of your computer, but this can be done by changing some default windows settings or editing your registry files which can be found in the system config folder. There are several ways by which you can perform this task. Below I have described a way. To decrease shutdown time of your computer, you can follow the below steps
1. By reducing Kill signal timeout
Just like other operating systems, windows also have a mechanism, when you press Shut Down button, windows wait for a specific time before sending a signal to close the running processes. At this time, running applications generally show a notification and ask you to close them manually after saving your data. Once that time is over, the windows automatically send a message to those applications and end all the processes forcefully. This might seem a bit irritating sometime because if you are pressing the Shutdown button, it generally means that you have saved all the data and you really want to shut it down. In that condition, there is no need to wait for a specific time before closing all running processes. So you can reduce the time taken by Windows before ending all the running processes and it will also help you to decrease shutdown time of your computer. Below are the steps
- Open Registry Editor. To open it, click on search menu and type regedit and then press Enter.
- Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.”
- Double Click on “WaitToKillServiceTimeout.”
- The default value would be 12000 (12 seconds) , you can set it to any value. Do not forget to add 3 zeros after the number of seconds. Click OK.
- Now navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.”
- Double click on “WaitToKillAppTimeout.” and then give the same value which you had given earlier.
- If you do not see an option to edit the value, you can simply Right click on an empty area, go to new and then String Value. Check the below image for that
This will decrease shutdown time of your computer by some seconds at least, it will be less irritating for you now to shutdown your computer.
Incoming Search Terms:
How to decrease shutdown time of computer
How to fast shutdown your computer
how to shutdown computer quickly